Will the prevalence of RFID technology affect certain types of jobs? Sure it will -- just like any disruptive new technology like robot-assisted carmaking to cheap computing power. A new study is looking at almost every corner of the globe amid the growing popularity of RFID technology
in everything from national security to retail to warehouse logistics.
The new report considers the effect of RFID into seven sections:
1. Retail trade: Characteristics, trends and prospects
2. Retail trade: Regional overview
3. Technology and supply chain management
4. Radio frequency identification
5. RFID and commerce
6. Social and labor implications
7. Social dialogue
The report states that while some jobs may be lost as RFID infiltrates certain industries, workers can be retrained for other positions. Sounds like a broken record to me, but it is what it is.